History of Sea Mills

Sea Mills was built as a designed garden suburb on land gifted and sold by the Kingsweston estate, to meet the housing crisis following the First World War. Many of those first inhabitants were soldiers and their families returning from the horror of war and escaping poor, overcrowded housing no longer fit for purpose in other parts of the city.

Competition to live here among those first residents was high. Sea Mills’ design of cottage style architecture fitting neatly within the landscape, with focal points, allotments, tennis court, recreation ground, uniform plot sizes, front hedges, tree line streets and views to the landscape beyond has won praise over the century with John Betjeman calling it ‘that magic estate’ in 1937.

In the eighties it became one of the first council estates in the country to become a conservation area which was later extended following the successful ‘Save Sea Mills Garden Suburb’ Campaign.